[Zope-CMF] Re: Wondering about catalog tool bloat

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Sun Apr 18 13:13:38 EDT 2004

Hi!

Alec Mitchell wrote:
> It seems to me that the default CMF catalog tool is a bit bloated.  My main
> concern is that FieldIndexes are used for Date, created, effective, modified,
> start, and end (the last two created by CMFCalendar), when they should
> probably all be DateIndexes.  Plone has already made some of these changes,
> but it would be nice to have it in the CMF itself.

This is a known problem. See this thread
<http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2004-March/020461.html>
and this collector issue
<http://collector.zope.org/CMF/191>.

The meta problem is: There are not enough volunteers to resolve issues
like that.

> Also, what is the purpose
> of the metadata redundancy between ModificationDate and modified or Date and
> CreationDate (which are also redundant in the indexes)?

I guess we don't need all of them. But in general the DublinCore methods
return ISO strings while the CatalogableDublinCore methods return
DateTime objects. See interface and implementation for details.

Cheers,
	Yuppie