[Plone-developers] Re: [Zope-CMF] Re: CMFUid isn't generating real uids

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Mon Aug 16 09:26:08 EDT 2004

Alexander Limi wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:28:50 +0200, Jean-Marc Orliaguet
> <jmo at ita.chalmers.se> wrote:
>

>> they appear in URLs, in Plone's navigation tree,

Hi!

> You're confusing (U)UIDs with temporary object names.

well, that is just a semantic distinction as I see, but in reality there
are the same concepts since the temporary object names eventually become
permanent UIDs which they did last time I checked, unless the user
modifies the UID.. I have quite a lot of 'file.2004-08-06.5903528396'
lying around and these are the ones that I saw in the navtree upon their
creation before I changed my mind and thought 'no, this is not a file
that I wanted to create', but a news document..

>>  - this is what you see for instance when you create a document
>> before  it gets a title, since Plone invokes the factory before
>> having all the  necessary information about the document and
>> complains afterwards that  the title is missing (which is basically
>> putting the cart before the  horse), so
>

> This is a CMF behaviour, not a Plone behaviour. And it's very silly.

But CMF is the framework, the UI implementation done in CMFDefault is
simply an illustration of how the user interface can take care of the
user-computer interaction.

Nothing prevents the CMS from actually creating the documents once all
the information about them has been gathered, this is what CPS3 which is
built on CMF does, CPS2 did it too... This is only a matter of
customizing a template in CMFDefault ('folder_factories'), and nothing
needs to be changed in CMFCore.
Basically you don't need to create a document in order to create a form
for it. First create the form based on the document's schema and layout
('...document_create_form.pt'), do the validation and then invoke the
script that will actually create the document ('document_create.py' or
whatever). In this way no document is created before it has been validated.

>> the left column momentarily covers 50% of the screen until you input
>> a  title
>

> Only in Mozilla. Mozilla doesn't break at hyphens, all other browsers do.

but this is UI problem basically, couldn't an ellipsis (...) be used
instead?

Regards /JM