[Zope-CMF] Re: folder_contents was Re: [dev] two small changes

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Fri Feb 6 08:51:24 EST 2004

yuppie wrote:
> Tonico Strasser wrote:
>> I find the global setting in the actions tool is not good. I think a
>> normal object shouldn't have a folder_contents action by default. It's
>> confusing and if I would repeat this logic for custom types, things
>> would get complicated. But thats just my view.
>

> I would agree that folderContents doesn't really belong into the
> category 'object'. Looking at the history of the actions tool before CMF
> 1.3 there was only 'folder/folderContents', not 'object/folderContents'.
> I think that was better. But I would not remove 'folderContents'
> completely because there should be a link to the container of the object.

I understand this from a historical point of view. The confusing part
for me is, when I call 'listFilteredActionsFor(here)', I would not
expect actions for container. If I wanted actions for the container, I
would call 'listFilteredActionsFor(here.aq_parent)' or similar. And, "up
to parent" is a navigational element not an action in my mind.

>> Removing the visible flag (or deleting the action) is not an option,
>> because I want to be as compatible as possible with plain CMF.
>

> I can't follow you here: I thought the problem was related to the fact
> you *did* delete the action.

Sorry for beeing unclear. I removed it for testing purposes. It's there
again. I solved it in folder_contents_control.

>>  > getActionInfo is an ActionProvider method, not an ActionsTool method.
>>  > atool.getActionInfo() does only return actions defined in
>> portal_actions.
>>
>> Ah, do you mean in portal_actions? Hmm.
>

> Yes. In portal_actions.

Things quickly get complicated for me if they are global. So I try to
avoid it for this case.

>> Looks good. What about adding object/folderContents to Folder and
>> Skinned Folder?
>

> Well. If you ask me the 'folder/edit' Action would be the right Action
> to manipulate folder contents. 'folder_edit_form' should be called by
> 'folder/metadata' or become part of 'folder_contents' (or
> 'folder_contents' part of 'folder_edit_form').
>
> But right now I'm not the person who'll do that.

I see. Anyway, CMF is a great piece of software. Sometimes I feel sad
because it's generally not accredited enough.

Tonico

--
Tonico Strasser ?:-)
http://Tonico.FreeZope.org