[Zope-CMF] Re: CVS: CMF/CMFCore/tests - test_OpaqueItems.py:1.2

Gregoire Weber gregweb at gmx.ch
Fri Jan 2 10:05:55 EST 2004

Hi Tres,

Last summer while programming on CMFCollection I needed
unique ids. I run into the problem that the unique id got
doubled on copying (which is bad ...).

So I decided to make the uid a callable opaque item like
'talkback' is. But then I recognized that only the 'talkback's
manage_after* and manage_before* hooks get called by CMFCore.

So that didn't help. For a while I lived with a monkey patch
replacing the 'opaqueItems' method.

IMHO a unique id tool should be totaly independent of how
content types are implemented I didn't see another way doing
this cleanly.

Archetypes for example mitigates the same problem by preaching
only to use archetypes based content types. So they can use
their content base classes 'manage_afterClone' hook for this.

I hope I could express my self clearly.

Gregoire

P.S.: Do you remember? We saw us on the zope3 Berlin sprint last
      year. I worked in pair with Yvo Schubbe.

P.P.S.: Related posts on the zope-cmf mailing list:
  <http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2003-August/019190.html>
  <http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2003-September/019283.html>
  <http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2003-September/019284.html>