[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] Actions and CMFSetup: naming conventions proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Jul 16 08:19:13 EDT 2004

Seb Bacon wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>
>> Dieter Maurer wrote:

>>> Maybe, we find a more general name. "action" were not too bad, if
>>> the complete thing were not called "action", too.
>>

>> 'url' is currently returned by listFilteredActionsFor. As you say,
>> 'action' is already used for the complete thing. I see your point that
>> this field isn't always used for URLs. But I doubt it would be a good
>> idea to introduce another term.
>

> A good alternative might be 'target'.  I'm not convinced it's so bad to
> introduce a new term, if it serves to clarify.  The term 'url' is
> inaccurate and misleading IMO.

Well. I'm not completely against a good alternative. 'target' came also
to my mind, but I don't think it would be less misleading: In 98%
Actions are used to create HTML links. And HTML anchor tags have a
'target' attribute with different meaning.

An other alternative that came to my mind is 'uri'. While 'uri' is more
general I don't think it's worth the change.

I also don't think that 'url' is too bad: Other use cases for that field
are rare and advanced use cases. At least I think it would be an
improvement if we don't have to talk about the 'action' of the Action.

Cheers, Yuppie