[Zope-CMF] Zope Newbie..help wanted

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Thu Jun 10 12:51:12 EDT 2004

Gurumoorthy, Ramachandran wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>  I am a newbie to zope and cms. I was wondering if someone could
> provide me with a headstart to how to go about using zope to manage a
> website. I wish to setup a content management system, create users
> with different levels of security settings etc.,
>
>  I have a few basic questions like:
>
>     1. Is it possible to edit content of webpages just like one can
> edit using the html preview of dreamweaver or frontpage ?

yes, there are add on packages (Epoz, and kupu) which can do tthat for you.

>     2. Does zope need to be installed on every user that needs to be
> able to update content ?

no, it is access with a browser. Nothing but a modern browser needs to
be install on the client.

>     3. What is Plone ? How different is it from Zope ? Why do we need
> to use plone with zope ?

Zope is an application server. A set of tools so to speak.
Plone is a shell that presents these tools with an easy to use UI.

>     4. If Zope is not a server and can work with apache or IIS, what
> is it used for then ?

Zope is a full blown web server. However it can (and very often does)
run behind a Apache or IIS. However it works perfectly without any of
the two.

>  I very sincerely appreciate any help in getting me started on this.
>
>  Thank you all.
>  rc.

Robert