[Zope-CMF] Re: Major action exhancements

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Mar 8 08:25:43 EST 2004

Alexander Limi wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:46:09 -0500, Tres Seaver <tseaver at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> Extracting that tool from the Boston.com software is likely to be my
>> major contribution to CMF 1.5.  I am hopeful that I can find the day
>> or  so to do that by St. Patrick's day.
>

> Yay for Tres! :)
>
>> Here is a sample of what the action tool config looks like now:
>

> Nice. Without knowing anything about your Boston.com tool, would this
> allow us to ship "FSActions" like the other FS-based stuff in CMF - and
> let the user do a "customize" on actions like they do with templates?
>
> This would help with the #1 headache in migrations to newer versions -
> now  we have to poke at the actions in the ZODB and try to figure out
> things,  with FS-based actions, we could change them on the file system,
> and they  will automatically be updated if you haven't customized.

I still haven't quite wrapped my head around that notion.  Here is what
the tool does:

  - it allows dumping and loading configuration to filesystem
    representations of tool configuration.

  - it tracks which filesystem "setup steps" have been applied to the
    site;  if a filesysytem step has been updated, it shows that as well.

  - it creates "snapshot" folders int the ZODB of current configuration

  - it diffs between snapshots, or between a filesystem dump and a
    snapshot;  diffs can be viewed TTW (using colorized markup), or
    downloaded.

  - it allows third-party code to register export / import handlers for
    new setup steps.

I *think* this set of featurs covers the use case you and Andy describe,
but I am not certain.

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com