[Zope-CMF] Re: Major action exhancements

Andy McKay andy at clearwind.ca
Mon Mar 8 12:46:05 EST 2004

Tres Seaver wrote:
> I still haven't quite wrapped my head around that notion.

Essentially the loading of Actions from two locations. First all the
actions are read off the file system in some format, say XML. This
allows us to be able to just ship a whole bunch of actions with Plone in
CVS. When we change them we'll just change them in CVS.

But a user needs to be able to customise them, so they can do this by
clicking a customise button and the action gets created in the tool
(just like now). When you iterate through the actions it will look on
first for the ones in the tool and then on the filesystem.

This will allow;

- easy deployment of actions for multiple sites

- local customisation of actions

[snip]
> I *think* this set of featurs covers the use case you and Andy describe,
> but I am not certain.

Yes I think so. We could write a bunch of actions in that snapshot on
the FS and then when we distribute a new Plone release and do an upgrade
we'd:

- diff the snapshot (whats in the ZODB) with the dump

- if there are any differences do a conflict resolution (not sure how)

- load the dump into the ZODB

And we should be up and running. That will be very useful.
--
   Andy McKay
   ClearWind Consulting