[Zope-CMF] Re: [Plone-users] Date based snapshots

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue May 4 10:47:47 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 09:13:11AM +1000, Dylan Jay wrote:
> "Paul Winkler" <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote in message
> news:20040503145305.GA1684 at slinkp.com...
> > On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:57:43PM +1000, Dylan Jay wrote:
> > > I have a requirement to be able to view an entire site as it was a
> certain
> > > date including pictures etc. One way would be just to copy the site and
> > > windback the data.fs. Is there some other way this could be done via a
> UI
> > > sort of like a reverse Vesion object?
> >
> > Nothing out of the box.
> > My first thought would be something like:
> >
> > - take daily backups of your database
> > - use DBTab to mount the backups read-only at different folders
>
> I don't think this is going to work as things like portal_catalog and
> portal_workflow have to viewed at they were too.

I mean something like the following, where all work is
done in a top-level zope folder called "current" which
is mounted to its own zodb:

Zope root / current /
                    plone_1/
                    plone_2/
           snapshot_1/
                      plone_1/
                      plone_2/
           snapshot_2

The snapshot folders would each point to a separate storage.
The storages could be rotated by a shell script that runs nightly.
Something like this:

zopectl stop
N=5            # or however many backups you want to keep.

rm Data.fs.$N  # delete the oldest one.
for i in `seq $N -1 2`; do     # this is like python's range(N,1,-1)
    let j=$((i - 1))
    mv Data.fs.$j Data.fs.$i   # e.g. mv Data.fs.4 Data.fs.5
done
cp -f Data.fs Data.fs.1

zopectl start

> You could have a seperate
> plone site for each folder I guess but that is probably a lot of storage.

Yes it is. The tradeoff is instant access to all archived material.
A more complex system could probably be built around incremental
backups using e.g. repozo.py but the snapshots wouldn't really be
"live" all the time.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com