[Zope-CMF] Re: [Plone-users] CMF "standards-based" Export format?

Dylan Jay me at dylanjay.com
Tue May 4 19:46:28 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter at handshake.de>
To: "Dylan Jay" <gmane at dylanjay.com>
Cc: <plone-users at lists.sourceforge.net>; <zope-cmf at zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Plone-users] CMF "standards-based" Export format?

> Dylan Jay wrote at 2004-5-3 22:40 +1000:
> >Yet another client requirement is complete export of content in a
standard
> >format to another other CMS.
>
> What is this "other CMS" and which formats it supports.
>
> If the "other CMS" is unspecified, you may try to use
> Zope's "XML" export format.
> As it encodes the content in "XML", one might argue, it were
> "standards" based.

yes and I think that is what vignette was going on about.

> It is also possible, to reconstruct the complete content
> form the XML (apart from modification dates). However,
> this would make some effort.
> On the other hand, some effort will be necessary whenever
> you try to move the content to a different CMS. It is quite
> unlikely that the structures agree sufficiently ...

I think that a "decent" enough export would be
1. Content + metadata
2. Workflow definition
3. Topics/taxonomy/metadata schema

1. could be performed using webdav/ftp
2. Is there some kind of XML standard for workflow? not sure if there is
anything that is realistic given that so many rules are involved.
3. Using something like ZTM topic maps and supporting XTM standard but I
need to look into that.

I get the feeling that exporting the metadata/topic schema is what they are
getting at.

The only other thing I can think of exporting is users and permissions.

Dylan Jay
---
http://www.meetmemap.com - makes giving directions easy
http://www.pretaweb.com - Update-it-yourself, low cost websites