[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] package dependencies

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed May 5 08:49:49 EDT 2004

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> There are two types of dependency declarations that can be useful.
> Number one, is a file that tells people who want to install something
> which other packages need to be installed. This can be done in the
> global INSTALL.txt.
>
> The other is a way to declare for installation software, such as
> CMFQuickInstaller, which packages installer must be run before this
> package's installer. A text file is not a good solution for that, it
> should be something with a strict syntax that have well defined ways of
> being interpreted. That means Python.

Python is *too* expressive for this use case, as for *most*
"config-file" use cases.  You want limited, *declarative* in such a
file, not a Turing-complete, Swiss-Army-bazooka imperative language.

> So, I think that the dependencies should be declared in INSTALL.txt and
> DEPENDENCIES.txt can be scrapped.

DEPENDENCIES.txt was originally following a proposal to make packages
introspectable on Zope.org.  As Sidnei's post points out, the 'zpkg'
framework has a newer spelling;  we should consider using it instead.

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com