[Zope-CMF] Re: Re: [Plone-users] Date based snapshots

Dylan Jay me at dylanjay.com
Thu May 6 03:29:08 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Withers" <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
To: "Dylan Jay" <gmane at dylanjay.com>
Cc: <zope-cmf at zope.org>; <plone-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 5:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] Re: Re: [Plone-users] Date based snapshots

> Dylan Jay wrote:
>
> > This setup certainly looks not to hard too do and it will allow for
viewing
> > the whole site at certain dates. I can't really see how it will allow
diffs
> > between different versions :(
>
> Sounds like you need t oexplain your requirements rather than asking for
> implementations of your chosen solution.
>
> Why do you want all these snapshots? What do you want to do with them?
What's
> driving this?

Sorry, I should be more verbose with my reasoning. I'm submitting a tender
for an Australian government tender. Apprently all Aust. gov. sites have
certain requirements with regard to auditing and tracebility. One
requirement is to be able to view the complete state of all documents/pages
at any date/time in the past. Another is to be able to view the differences
on a document from how it was in a the past. Both of these seem possible by
fiddling round with data.fs files. The requirements however are for a nice
UI which doesn't look likely as it would mean digging into FileStorage to
enable the dynamic mounting of a backup data.fs with the current data.fs so
diffs can be viewed. Not something I feel upto yet. Or if they can handle
the storage on the server then I could just never truncate the db but that
probably isn't a realistic solution.

Dylan Jay
---
http://www.meetmemap.com - makes giving directions easy