[Zope-CMF] Re: Is unmodified CMF useless? Some Plone questions.

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Wed May 12 12:31:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:07:38 +1000, Peter Shute (NUW) <pshute at nuw.org.au>
wrote:

> I've been playing with Zope and now CMF for a few days now.  I've been
> trying to see what they can do, and have come to the conclusion that
> without
> a lot of modifications the basic sites they create are fairly useless for
> anything.
>
> Is that correct, or have I missed some basic features?

You have missed the disctinction between a framework and an application. :)

> I've now installed Plone, and this is much more like what I was
> expecting,
> so here are some questions:
>
> 1. I don't quite understand the relationship between CMF and Plone.
> They're
> both Zope products, but is Plone dependent on CMF or the other way
> around?

Plone uses CMF components, and adds additional stuff on top of that to
take the application in a specific direction. CMF is a framework, and is
thus pretty much open-ended.

> 2. Does this mailing list cover Plone as well as CMF, or is there a more
> appropriate one?  I couldn't see one on the Zope site.

http://plone.org/lists will show you the Plone-related lists. Better to
ask Plone-specific questions there - although it's not always easy to know
if something is a Plone or a CMF question. People will usually tell you if
you're in the wrong place, though. :]

> 3. I installed the latest CMF, then uninstalled it before installing
> Plone,
> because I noticed that it came with CMF.  Am I now running an older
> version
> of CMF, and if so what happens if I upgrade it?

Plone normally ships with the latest CMF, in this case CMF 1.4.3. The
reason that Plone ships with the CMF are several, the two most important
being that we can guarantee that people use the correct version of CMF (if
I had a penny for each debian person trying to run Plone 2 with CMF
1.3...), and to make it easy to get up and running. All batteries included.

> 4. How do you say Plone?  Does is sound like "clone", or is it PL-1?

The former. It's even a Google word now. ;)

  Alexander Limi    ·     Chief Architect     ·    Plone Solutions

  Development · Training · Support · http://www.plonesolutions.com