[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMFSetup roadmap?

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Nov 11 07:40:13 EST 2004

Hi!

Martijn Pieters wrote:
> There are two usage scenarios for add-on Products:
>
> 1) Using add-on Products plus CMFSetup for a custom site setup you want
>    to reproduce easily.
>
> Site builders can create the correct profile files already with the
> current CMFSetup tool, by including add-on Products import and export
> steps by hand. It would be handy if there was a TTW UI to add steps so
> that one can run an initial export to create a profile one can check
> into CVS.

Yes. And I hope writing new import/export handlers will become easier in
the long run.

> 2) Including add-on Products' tools and their setup in a default
>    installation of a CMFDefault Site (or a Plone site if Plone chooses
>    to use CMFSetup)

This is the scenario I had in mind and what's needed to replace the old
setup machinery. Add-on products should ship with XML files, not with
install scripts, FTIs and preconfigured tools.

> My original CMFSetup product used a runtime registry to manage
> dependencies and add-on steps centrally. In the CMF 1.5 refactoring,
> this registry has been replaced by 2 XML files in the profile, which
> makes it hard for add-on products to add their steps by default for easy
> alteration of a default CMFsetup.
>
> My original CMFSetup also included support for multiple layers that
> could be run in succession; each step would loop through the layers and
> apply the configurations. Extra products could then add a layer for the
> 'tools' install step that just included their own new tools and
> configurations, or even undo default configuration changes done by
> earlier layers.
>
> If add-on products want to enable installation into a stock CMF Default
> site (or a Plone site if Plone were to use CMFSetup), then I think that
> supporting layering again would be the best way to go; additional
> products would only have to include additional XML files for the changes
> they need to make for their default setup. A central registry could then
> manage what profiles are available, and what layers are enabled.

That sounds reasonable. But if I did get Tres right, there was a reason
why he didn't check in that code. I just did never understand how things
could work without a machinery like that.

Cheers,
	Yuppie