[Zope-CMF] [dev] enhancing Actions: a rough proposal

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Mon Nov 22 08:03:32 EST 2004

yuppie wrote:

> Tools are no longer Action providers. Products add their Actions to the
> ActionsTool like they add their skin layers to the SkinsTool.
[...]
> - Workflow Actions:
> No idea how they could benefit from the new machinery. If we don't
> change them, CMFActionIcons doesn't become obsolete.

These to are closely related. Workflow actions are basically totally
dynamic, and calculated by which transations are valid and have actions.
Completely removing the ability to be an action provider means that for
each workflow transition you have, you have to also create an action, in
a completely different part of the site, which "sho me" expression must
match the "is possible" expression of the transition.

So my gut reaction to this is a big -1.

Making the actions tool an ordered folder and making those actions
proper items is fine. But I see no reason why you can't have action
providers.

Possibly, instead of the current action provider system, there could be
an action provide plugin list, where one simply is an ordered folder,
but where DCWorkflow can add it's plugin. But this seems to me just a
very complicated way of having action providers...

Also, the Five integration of actions and Zope3 menues I'm working on
now becomes if not impossible, then really complicated. I think we
definitely need a way to still create actions on the fly, and not only
have persistent collections of actions.