[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] enhancing Actions: a rough proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Nov 22 09:54:31 EST 2004

Sergey Volobuev wrote:

>> Tools are no longer Action providers. Products add their Actions to
>> the ActionsTool like they add their skin layers to the SkinsTool.
>

> Sometimes i'm wondering about possibility of some sort of dynamic
> actions. Example: i want a row of tabs which corresponds to top-level
> site folders. Currently, if i add a folder, i need to add an action
> manually. But i think it is currently possible to write some sort of
> tool which will generate its actions list on the fly... It is much more
> complex than it should be, but it seems to be possible.

Well. The Actions machinery wasn't built for site navigation. So - as
you describe - it's hard to use Actions that way.

> With new design it seems impossible, isn't it? Maybe the new action tool
> will provide some sort of plugin support? Say, the possibility to put
> python script somewhere which will returns the list of custom actions...

My prototype has plugin support for custom ActionCategory objects. If
you want to use the ActionsTool for site navigation, you could write a
customized ActionCategory class that returns dynamic actions.

On the other hand I just propose to replace Action providers that use
ActionProviderBase by a new centralized Action provider. Removing the
possibility to register other Action providers is not part of my proposal.

Cheers, Yuppie