[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] RFC: Extensible propertysheet use cases

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Oct 1 10:50:13 EDT 2004

Hi Dieter!

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> yuppie wrote at 2004-9-29 22:43 +0200:
>>None of the use cases I'm aware of requires the ability to add different
>>properties for each TypeInfo / Action instance.
>
> My use case does ;-)
>
>>A CMFDefault site ships with 51 Actions. It's a nightmare to "record
>>action-specific annotations" using the PropertyManager UI.
>

> Not all of them need to be special. Usually, only a few (especially
> important ones) are. Standard actions almost surely do not need
> additional annotations (maybe beside description).

I'm aware of these two use cases:

1.) Looking up a single property of a single Action.

So far I only needed that for target URLs.

2.) Generating HTML links (or something similar) in a loop.

So far I've only seen loops with hardcoded properties. Either we have to
be sure these properties exist or we have to test if they exist.

Given that, we have to define a schema, at least in our mind. Useful
properties have to follow that schema.

If we want to share code with other people, it's useful to use the same
schema. Products can ship with Actions that include properties like
'description' or 'target_viewport' and other Products will know how to
use them. (I don't say that a standard schema or a limited set of
standards can cover all use cases, but most of them.)

I'm not sure if you have other use cases in mind or if you think the
PropertyManager machinery is the right tool for the use cases I mentioned.

Cheers,
	Yuppie