[Zope-CMF] Re: Bad interaction between CMF 1.4 and Zope 2.8 (catalog-getObject-raises)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 10:50:26 EDT 2005

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Chris, you need to get off this hobby horse.  Florent's fix was correct
> for the *new* model which has 'getObject' raising (a model you profess
> to *like*).

Why not by catching the expected errors? Do you like bare try:
except:'s? (since that's effectively what this is!)

> Bugs in the catalog itself, in BTrees, in the CMF, or in third-party
> software can leave cruft in the catalog:  robust code *has* to deal with
> that problem.

...by sweeping it under the carpet? Come on! I for one want to know if
there's cruft in my catalog so I can fix it.

Now, this particular case seems to back up my point even more. It looks
like the actual problem here is crufty code in
Products.CMFDefault.DiscussionItem which has been happilly masked up
until now.

This "return None" culture seems to be a similar hobby horse. That said,
we still have the bizarre __allow_access_to_unprotected_subobjects__ in
SimpleItem, so I guess I shouldn't really be suprised, should I?

cheers,

Chris - this is more like it, I shouldn't be agreeing with Tres ;-)

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk