[Zope-CMF] A funding initiative to improve the software stack

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Thu Aug 25 12:27:43 EDT 2005

Hi, CMF folks.  Munwar and I would like to start public discussion about
Goldegg, a funding initiative for advancing Zope 3 in the Plone/CMF/Five
software stack.  In summary, Goldegg provides funding to get Zope 3 into
the near-term roadmaps of the stack.  Specifically, the funding
initiative helps get the leaders of these roadmaps working in
coordination on the next releases.

As background, a few months ago I circulated a "CMF++" proposal, where
money was pooled to produce 2 CMF releases that leveraged some of Zope
3.  Munwar Shariff from CIGNEX convinced a Plone customer to spend money
on an expanded version of this proposal that included Plone's Zope 3
near-term roadmap.  CIGNEX asked me to be project co-coordinator with
Munwar.

We have talked quite a bit with many of the stack leaders and we're now
ready to open up the discussion.  We have some content ready and are
preparing a small little site for news.  The next few emails will
discuss the proposed projects for the Goldegg One funding cycle covering
the next 3 months.

In the coming week we will provide more information about the roadmap
items we're helping to support.  However, Goldegg isn't a new software
effort.  Rather, it funds existing efforts.  The first cycle of Goldegg
funding, in fact, slots most of the money into already-discussed CMF
activities.  Thus, most of the conversation will happen in the CMF,
Five, and Plone mailing lists.

We will, though, start talking to other companies that want to pool
money.  If you make money off of the stack and want to see its
architecture improve in the next release cycles, Goldegg is the best
chance you'll get to have an impact.  Including the impact of shorter
release cycles!

I'm available to chat to anybody that has questions about this.  Munwar
and I have listened to lots of people and we're trying hard to do things
the best way possible.  It's a tough job to balance all the interests
while still giving this customer the right outcome.  Thus, we need to
ask you for patience on things we mess up.  We might not get it right
the first time, but we'll listen and keep trying.

I also need to give huge kudos to CIGNEX for making this happen.  They
produced the customer funding and even matched it with internal funding.
  Thus, CIGNEX has primed the pump for a near-term Five-ification
roadmap, and they're doing it by giving money to existing leaders for
existing ideas.  This is a brilliant and generous step.  It's up to the
rest of us -- businesses with funding contributions, community with code
and ideas -- to show whether monetary investment can fill medium-term needs.

--Paul and Munwar