[Zope-CMF] Re: A funding initiative to improve the software stack

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Mon Aug 29 07:23:58 EDT 2005

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2005, at 18:27, Paul Everitt wrote:
>
>> Hi, CMF folks.  Munwar and I would like to start public discussion
>> about Goldegg, a funding initiative for advancing Zope 3 in the
>> Plone/CMF/Five software stack.  In summary, Goldegg provides  funding
>> to get Zope 3 into the near-term roadmaps of the stack.
>> Specifically, the funding initiative helps get the leaders of these
>> roadmaps working in coordination on the next releases.
>

> <sound of crickets>

Yeh, yeh, ya got me on that one. :^)

> Hm. I think we're waiting for more details ;)

Ok, here's some more details, sorry for the delay!

There is a site:

   http://www.goldeggstack.org/about/home/

...with an FAQ:

   http://www.goldeggstack.org/about/faq

...and a "primer" about the Goldegg funding initiative:

   http://www.goldeggstack.org/about/primer

In a sec I'll send a note about a sprint.  The site has other material
which I'll be finishing in the coming days and discussing separately.

> But in general, kudos to the scheme as a whole. It is a fantastic  idea
> to put actual customer funding into the freely available  software stack
> which hasn't seen much of that in its history. Most  funding has always
> gone to specific customer projects where  good  ideas or software tend
> to be locked up, out of reach of the core  software package.

Right, and worse, the funding is almost exclusively to create new
software.  There isn't much funding for people that guide the whole
thing and make long-term decisions.  ZC has carried the weight on this
throughout the years and we're all lucky for this.  Hopefully this
initiative will go a step further and fund people in the community that
play this role.

Let's see how this idea goes.  I'm trying to be safe and quiet during
this early period while we figure out how to support you guys on the CMF
2.0 release.

--Paul