[Zope-CMF] Re: VIRTUAL_URL and ACTUAL_URL (was Re: Collector Issues)

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Sun Dec 4 10:24:36 EST 2005

Hi!

Alexander Limi wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:04:52 -0800, Andreas Jung
> <lists-ARtvInVfO7mgNtSmz8jCiw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK ACTUAL_URL contains the full URL *plus* the query string.
>> VIRTUAL_URL
>> does not contain the query string. ACTUAL_URL was introduced on
>> request by
>> the Plone developers.
>
> Except, the implementation did not end up including the query string -
> which was the whole idea in the first place, to have ACTUAL_URL be "what
> is in the address bar right now", so things like anchors work (did you
> know there is no proper way of getting anchors to work in virtual
> hosting setups without doing three conditional tests in your template?).
>
> When I suggested that it should be fixed, people wanted to invent
> *another* variable that included the query string, and it degenerated
> into a "what should we name it" discussion after that. So that thing
> still has to be "reinvented" in Plone, which sucks.
>
> </rant>

<rant>
Intended or not, ACTUAL_URL was released with a specific behavior that
is useful for and used by some people. You can't change the behavior of
ACTUAL_URL in a non backwards compatible way just to make it more
suitable for your use cases.
</rant>

Anyway, ACTUAL_URL supersedes VIRTUAL_URL which is only available if the
Virtual Host Monster changed the URL. I can't think of any good reason
to use VIRTUAL_URL instead of ACTUAL_URL.

Cheers,

	Yuppie