[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF 1.6 change broke Plone compatibility

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Dec 22 04:50:48 EST 2005

On 22 Dec 2005, at 03:10, Rob Miller wrote:
> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> I don't quite understand the distinction between "compatible with
>> products written for Plone 2.1 but not with Plone 2.1", I can't
>> see  any sense in that route... it all comes back to one question:
>> What is  the goal for the 1.6 branch? What specific audience is it
>> targeted  at? I can see what it's apparently *not* targeted at:
>> People who work  with Plone 2.1 - including those that might be
>> interested in taking  up GenericSetup for their Plone product. I
>> had thought that was our  audience.
>
> the original motivation behind my request for a CMF 1.6 release was
> so that it could be used as a basis for the next major Plone
> release, what is now being called Plone 2.5.  this is because Plone
> would like to switch to using GenericSetup for its site
> instantiation and configuration, but using CMF 2.0 for our next
> release would cause too much breakage of Plone add-on products.
> CMF 1.6 makes it easier for Plone to not fall (again!) terribly
> behind CMF's development cycle.

Just to put this into perspective, this is not some life-and-death
issue for me at this point, more a clarification issue. It wasn't
clear to me how limited the target audience for CMF 1.6 really will be.

I think this brings up the need for a slightly more formalized
planning and release process. Given the requisite backing by at least
the main developers (meaning their agreement that they would actually
use such a thing) I'd like to set up a release plan page on zope.org
that explains a bit more what the goals for each major release are
and which contains timing information as well. The Plone roadmap page
at http://plone.org/roadmap (plone.org seems down currently) does a
nice job in that regard.

By the way, my technical problem of satisfying dependencies on
GenericSetup introduced by us switching to PAS without breaking a
production Plone 2.1 site have been solved by simply using
GenericSetup from the 1.6 branch and keeping everything else at CMF
1.5.4.

jens