[Zope-CMF] Re: custom WebDAV upload handling

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Jun 8 09:04:55 EDT 2005

Raphael Ritz wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
> [..]
>

>>> 7. ... it is placed in there.
>>>
>>> (Why is this back-and-forth handling needed at all?)
>>

>> CMF builds on top of Zope, so CMF's PortalFolder has to return a bare
>> and empty object as required by Zope's webdav machinery.
>>
>> Hence the question is: Why does PortalFolder's PUT_factory use
>> invokeFactory, a method that obviously does more than we want?
>>
>> AFAICS this was the easiest way to implement PUT_factory. TypesTool or
>> TypeInfos don't provide a better method.

Zope's factory mechanism doesn't really separate "construction" of an
object from seating it into its parent container;  we would have needed
to replace it to do something less contorted here.

> thanks for that clarification!
>
> As I see it now, it should be perfectly fine to provide
> my custom folder type with its own 'PUT_factory' such
> that it does whatever I want for uploads into my
> custom folder as long as I return to Zope's NullResource
> an object it can live with.

Right.

> Think I got it now. Finally ...
>
> Raphael
>
> PS: Do people think it would be worthwhile documenting
> this somehow? Or is this such a rare and special situation
> that no-one would be interested in knowing?

I think this pattern (uploading textual representations of collections)
will be quite common.  Consider .ical files, for instance, or an "RSS
exploder".

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com