[Zope-CMF] Re: Conflict between PortalFolder and CMFBTreeFolder

Julien Anguenot ja at nuxeo.com
Mon Jun 20 05:19:00 EDT 2005

Christian Heimes wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>> First of all CMF 1.5.2 has to be backwards compatible to CMF 1.5.0 and
>> 1.5.1, so reverting that change is no option.

+1

> That is understandable from your point of view but I don't agree with
> the desicion. The new ordered PortalFolder has deep impacts on software
> that exists for years and depend on PortalFolder to be a subclass of
> Folder w/o order support. This includes BTreeFolder2, Archetypes and all
> Archetypes based products. Archetypes distinguishes explictly between
> BaseFolder and OrderedBaseFolder.
>
> I'm proposing to change PortalFolder in the following way:
>
>  * Revert PortalFolder to be subclassed from Folder
>
>  * Create an OrederedPortalFolder as subclass from OrderedFolder
>
>  * Subclass all classes in CMF from OrderedPortalFolder instead of
> PortalFolder
>
> All third party software that was working with CMF 1.4 and older would
> work as expected and all CMF core software would still use the ordered
> folder. The downside is that software written for CMF 1.5 has to be
> altered. But it is much easier to alter a few lines in some products
> than trying to get rid of the ordered stuff in PortalFolder.

- -1. You can change the code of your product to cope with it. (i.e : we
did this on CPS a long time ago)

>> I propose to override manage_renameObject in PortalFolder with code
>> that works for OrderedFolder *and* CMFBTreeFolder.
>
> That's not enough. Existing software like Archetypes depends on
> PortalFolder to be an ordinary folder, too.

For this, my point is that you can change your code. (it could have been
done long time ago)

[...]

>> BTW: I'm not at all happy with the fact that Zope 2.8 ships with
>> CMFBTreeFolder. That circular dependency is a pain to maintain. Maybe
>> we should move CMFBTreeFolder to a CMF product.
>
> Sounds like a plan but keep in mind that other software depends on the
> import path of CMFBTreeFolder.

+1

	J.

- --
Julien Anguenot | Nuxeo R&D (Paris, France)
CPS Platform : http://www.cps-project.org
Zope3 / ECM   : http://www.z3lab.org
mail: anguenot at nuxeo.com; tel: +33 (0) 6 72 57 57 66