[Zope-CMF] PortalObject, PortalFolder, SkinnedFolder and __call__

Christian Heimes christian at cheimes.de
Tue Jun 21 09:22:41 EDT 2005

While I was working on the CMF 1.5 integration into AT and
ATContentTypes for Plone 2.1 I had some issues with the view on folders.
After some digging I found these interesting results:

CMFCore.PortalObject defines __call__ to use method aliases and
_getViewFor() as fallback, view = __call__ and index_html = None.

CMFDefault.SkinnedFolder defines __call__ to use _getViewFor(), view =
__call__ and index_html = None

CMFCore.PortalFolder doesn't hook into index_html/__call__ publishing at
all.

What's the reason PortalFolder doesn't define __call__ at all? Shouldn't
it use __call__ to get the view from method aliases or _getViewFor() as
fallback?

Why does SkinnedFolder still uses the old and deprecated way as default
way to get the view and why does it ignore method aliases completly? IMO
SkinnedFolder.__call__ is buggy and wasn't fixed when method aliases
were introduced.

Christian