[Zope-CMF] Re: catalog tool

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Mon May 2 03:09:30 EDT 2005

computing project wrote:
[..]

> To avoid creating my own catalog tool tied to my new tool, I was toying
> with the idea of extending the catalog tool so it had a list of tools
> that could provide catalog variables.  Similar (well okay virtually
> identical) to the way the actions tool has a list of action providers
> that it consults.  Is this something that would be useful as a patch for
> the CMF?  It seemed to me that having the catalog tool know about the
> workflow tool at a code level is not quite right anyhow.
>
> Any opinions?

This is similar to what Gregoire and others are doing
for CMFEditions (I think) and for the UID handling in
particular. There is a discussion going on to make
the handling of 'opaque items' more generic by using
annotations for storage (much like in Zope 3) and to
allow configuring which opaque items/annotations to
add to the catalog. Google along those lines and I'm
sure you'll find plenty of pointers.

Raphael