[Zope-CMF] Subversion?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed May 4 10:33:55 EDT 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 3:44 , Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Well it would make things homogenous with the rest of Zope and
> Zope-related projects. And you could do checkouts of Zope + CMF or
> Plone
> + CMF or CPS + CMF with only a few well placed svn:externals in one
> command.

You're slightly contradicting yourself here. It's not "the rest of
Zope and Zope-related products" that are on SVN. It's only Zope 2.8+,
Plone stuff and CPS. I would claim the opposite and say that most
Zope-related products are still on CVS, and a few large ones
(especially Plone/Plone-related products and CPS) are on SVN.

> And frankly merging and cheap branches and having diff -r PREV:BASE
> makes svn much nicer to use day to day.

Haven't had any problem doing branches and diffing in CVS, that's a
purely subjective observation.

> The cvs2svn script is quite mature, migrating is not difficult in
> itself, and ZC has already done it for Zope.

That's unrelated to my original opinion, really.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to diss anyone, it's just
that I haven't seen many "valid" arguments for such a move that
really benefit most active developers. At least for Zope itself there
were a couple good arguments if I remember correctly, but they had to
do with Zope repository specifics (stitching in unrelated stuff etc).

Now, if there was zero cost to switching, fine. I can deal with
having to get further into SVN. But there is a cost, especially for
those people who do the repository migration and then presumably
cleanup. You're "force-volunteering" people at ZC right now to do
that work. They should have the final word, if anyone.

jens