[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] RFC: logging/reporting framework for GenericSetup

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Nov 16 04:50:31 EST 2005

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> On 15 Nov 2005, at 14:24, yuppie wrote:
>>
>>> The notes should be logged *and* used for reporting in the ZMI.
>>>

>>> Implementation:
>>>
>>> I'm no logging expert, so I might well be missing something. The
>>> state of the art seems to be using the Python logging package (PEP
>>> 282). Is it possible to use that framework for reporting as well?  It
>>> doesn't look like that.
>>>
>>> Replacing the 'note' method in ISetupContext with a more logger  like
>>> API and sending the notes to the Python logger *and* to TTW  reports
>>> might be the way to go.
>>
>> There could be a "multiplexer" that logs to the standard Zope event  log
>> *and* keeps the messages in a memory buffer to be displayed in  the
>> browser. This could be done in a separate class or a logging API  could
>> be added to ISetupContext. Should be easy to do, really.
>
> I *think* the current setup tool creates a text file with log messages
> in it, and stores that file inside the tool.

Couldn't find anything like that in the setup tool. It collects the
messages returned by handlers, passes them around and forgets them after
the request is finished. The _notes list of the setup context is ignored
completely by the tool.

> I would prefer to maintain
> the data persistently, rather than in RAM;  the API for that could be
> extended, of course.

Why would you prefer persistent reports? Wouldn't it be sufficient to
have the messages in the event log?

Cheers,

	Yuppie