[Zope-CMF] Zope logs

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Oct 25 12:56:18 EDT 2005

On 10/25/05, R G <atrium601 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
>  I've recently come to admin a couple of zope sites. I didn't build them,
> but am just the current admin. Before I came to work on this, and because it
> was desirable to serve more than one portal, Apache came into scene. So, the
> logs passed from zope to apache, using webalizer.
>  My question is how can i consult the logs generated by zope? I know were
> they are, but i have no idea of how to get info from them.

I assume you mean the Zope access log.  It's in the same format as Apache logs,
so you can parse it with webalizer or whatever.
(Well, mostly... if you use zope's FTP server, it pollutes the log with
messages in a totally different format.  )

>  The ideal would be to consult them through my zope portals, as well as
> keeping the webalizer stats. Is there a way to do that?

I'd just set up another webalizer process running against the Zope log,
and serve that through Apache at a different URL.

I've also served log analysis through Zope by pointing a LocalFS
instance at a directory containing html and images generated by
a cron job calling analog. Could do the same thing with webalizer
instead of analog.  But you don't really gain any advantage compared to
having Apache serve it; that was just a matter of convenience.

--
http://www.slinkp.com