[Zope-CMF] CMFSetup vs. factory_type_information

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sun Sep 11 08:27:47 EDT 2005

Here's some food for thought about a possible code simplification:

I was looking at the (annoying) duplication of configuration data
between CMFSetup type information XML files and
factory_type_information structures stored inside python modules. It
would be cool if the XML files could completely remove the need to
have a factory_type_information, and that seems to be the case (mostly).

I noticed that when I pass an empty tuple as the "fti" argument to
ContentInit everything seems to work as expected. The only
shortcoming I found was the fact that inside the TypesTool, when you
select "Factory Type Information" from the ZMI add list, my type is
not showing up anymore, which makes sense. If you want to get the
type, you can use the portal_setup tool.

Would it make sense to remove all those factory_type_information
structures for those types in CMF that have been converted to
CMFSetup? Would there be any bad consequences that I'm not seeing?

jens