[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF roadmap update

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Apr 25 13:06:41 EDT 2006

yuppie wrote:
> Hi Jens!
>

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>
>> CMF 2.0.0 is now out the door and I have made some updates to the
>> roadmap document. Please take a look and give me some feedback on the
>> dates (well, the only dates we have set are the dates for CMF 2.1) and
>> the description of 2.1:
>>
>> http://www.zope.org/Products/CMF/docs/roadmap/document_view
>

> The roadmap doesn't specify the status of the mentioned changes. I quote
> the CMF 2.1 section here to add my comments and questions:
>
>> Adding missing pieces to the Zope 3 integration puzzle which could not
>> make it into the 2.0 release for time reasons will be the main
>> objective for CMF 2.1. At this point the following items are planned
>> to land in CMF 2.1:
>>
>>     * Local skin customization (take an item from the skins tool and
>> customize it for a particular CMF site instance)
>

> Is anybody working on this? AFAICS everybody agrees we need a solution
> for this, but so far we don't even have a rough proposal.
>
>>     * Release CMF as Eggs
>
> The related work is on the tseaver-pkg_resources branch, right? What's
> the status of that branch?

I'm actually not happy with the status of that branch:  it was mostly
aimed at making CMF releasable as "zip-safe" eggs.  However, almost *no*
Zope-related eggs are zip-safe, due to package-local data everywhere.

At this point, I think I would rather punt on zip-safety, and just
release CMF 2.1 as eggs (at least as one alternative).  We might come up
with an "entry point" convention (beyond the one defined by Basket) to
support QuickInstaller-like setup / configuration.

>>     * convert all views over to Zope 3-style views
>
> I think we can go on converting views step by step using the patterns
> used in CMF 2.0. These patterns make it relatively easy to convert the
> existing skin methods in a traceable way.
>
> But the resulting views are far from perfect. Before we can make them
> the default views they need a lot of refactoring. I plan to have a look
> at formlib and viewlets to find out what we can reuse in CMF.
>
>>     * Make the new Zope 3-style views the standard views
>
> This depends on 'Local skin customization' and 'convert all views'.

Not necessarily.  We could reverse the default from CMF 2.0, and provide
the skins-based profile as an alternative for those who need customization.

>>     * Use of Zope 3-style container events throughout, removal of all
>> manage_* methods.
>
> Is this already implemented on the tseaver-catalog_events branch or is
> more work necessary than merging that branch?

We would need to review the diff by hand, I think:

  $ svn diff -r 41511:HEAD $ZSVN/CMF/branches/tseaver-catalog_events

I've lost most of my context for the branch at this point.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com