[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF roadmap update

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Apr 26 05:44:10 EDT 2006

yuppie wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>> Paul Winkler wrote:
>>

>>> I saw Philip W. do a working prototype of this at the PyCon Dallas
>>> sprints.
>>>
>>> I don't know if anything happened with this after PyCon,
>>> and it would need at least some UI work.
>>> If the UI is to integrate with the CMF skins tool, I suspect there will
>>> need to be a thin layer of CMF-specific UI written as well.  IIRC,
>>> Philip's prototype just dumped the templates into the Zope root, or
>>> maybe into the current folder, I forget.
>>

>> I believe the work which Philipp and I did at PyCon will land for Zope
>> 2.10 / Five 1.4.  Until then, we don't have any story for view
>> customization:  sites which depend on such customization will need to
>> continue using the skins.
>>
>> Once that work lands, we should be able to integrate the UI from the
>> prototype, which shows the template-driven views for a given object, and
>> allows creation of a new templatee in the nearest "site", shadowing the
>> global view.
>

> Are you talking about the 'zpt customization prototype' that won't be
> ready in time for Five 1.5/Zope 2.10 according to the log message for
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/checkins/2006-April/001310.html?

Yes.  I am most disappointed to see that work shelved for another six
months.  I am not convinced our release cycle is working in our favor here.

> I'm not happy with limiting TTW customizations to zpt customizations.
> That will force people to add their custom logic to the templates. The
> goal of views was to move in the opposite direction.

Customization is hard: without TTW modules we *can't* do customization
of arbitrary view logic.  The templates which the prototype produced
were going to enable the "inline Python" feature (currently possible in
Z3's "ZPT Page" content type), which would have allowed a somewhat more
manageable chunk of that use case.

Those templates would then be wired together with the "original" view
class from which the customization was done to create the overriding view.

> But I have no time to work on something better.

Nor I.  CMF can't do more than Zope2 / Zope3 / Five will support.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com