[Zope-CMF] zope spins when try to update workflow

Edmund Moseley edmund at unc.edu
Fri Dec 29 10:56:50 EST 2006

> On 28 Dec 2006, at 20:30, Edmund Moseley wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Originally posted this on zope at zope.org, and was pointed in this
>> direction instead.
>> Hopefully somebody can help with what follows...
>>
>> When I try to run "Update security settings" in the portal_workflow
>> tool, my zope process gradually swallows up all the cpu, seems to still
>> be running fine, but then after a couple of hours, swallows up all the
>> memory, the load avg on the server exceeds 4 and makes it pretty well
>> unresponsive.
>
> Updating those settings will cause all objects affected by that
> particular workflow to be reindexed, which means they will all be
> loaded into memory. This can lead to memory exhaustion and swapping.
>
> That's the generic answer without having any details about your
> particular setup.
>

> jens

Jens,
Thanks for your generic answer. What details about my setup might help
in figureing out how I could successfully update security without my
server grinding to a halt.
Zope 2.9.5, Python 2.4.4, Plone 2.5.1
4GB of physical memory
4GB of swap
2 Duo Core processors

I have about 35,000 objects in the ZODB, but I'm sure this doesn't come
close to the total amount of memory.

We have a ZEO server and client on the same machine.

Any ideas as to how I can resolve this would be very much appreciated.
TIA,
Edmund