[Zope-CMF] Re: using GenericSetup to add non-content objects

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Feb 22 16:35:22 EST 2006

Hi Rob!

Rob Miller wrote:
> i'm trying to use GenericSetup to add tool-like objects to my site at
> creation time.  i say "tool-like" because the objects in question (RAM and
> HTTP cache managers) act as tools, but they have constructors that require
> additional arguments... the current tool.py importer assumes that the
> constructor for a tool doesn't take any arguments.
>
> neither is the content importer appropriate, since these aren't content
> objects.  is there some straightforward way to add arbitrary objects to
> the root of the site that i'm missing?  if not, how would folks feel about
> some slight changes to the tool.py to allow for additional constructor
> arguments to be specified?
>
> on a related note, i'd also like to allow tool titles to be specified in
> toolset.xml.  anyone have a problem w/ this being added to tool.py?

RAM and HTTP cache managers just require the object id as argument. +1
for fixing this id issue in the toolset handler.

But everything else like titles are properties of the tool itself that
have nothing to do with the container and might need tool-specific setup
code. Allowing to set arbitrary arguments in 'toolset.xml' violates the
current structure of the profiles. So -1 for supporting other arguments
than id.

Cheers,

	Yuppie