[Zope-CMF] Re: [z3-five] Re: CMFonFive and CMF 1.6

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Wed Jan 4 20:26:15 EST 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Rob Miller <ra at burningman.com> wrote:
>
>>urgh.  this isn't ideal for Plone.  i'm assuming you've hit some
>>specific problems w/ getting the current CMFonFive code to support both
>>2.8 and 2.9?  can you provide a little more detail re: the compatibility
>>issues?  in the meantime, i'll bring this up on plone-devel.
>
> The menu implementation in Zope 3.0 and 3.2 are very different. I
> wouldn't describe this as a problem, it's just not compatible. :-)
>
> Zope 2 and Zope 3 now has versions synchronized. I'd like CMF to
> synchronize the versions as well, as the compatibility matrices grows
> exponentially. In theory CMFonFive would be able to support Zope 2.7
> to 2.9, and CMF 1.4 to 1.6, but supporting any combination of this
> would require at least four different versions of CMFonFive. It's just
> a matter of how much work should be put into it.
>
> I personally will only make the versions CPS needs in the future, it
> would be very good if those version where the same as what Plone could
> use.

this makes sense.  i'm -1 on the final CMFonFive piece landing in CMF
1.6 itself, though.  the original scope for CMF 1.6 was "CMF 1.5 +
GenericSetup", i don't see a compelling reason to complicate things by
expanding that scope.  if CMFonFive stays separate, then you can code it
to support only Zope 2.9 without having to impose this same restriction
on the CMF core.

-r