[Zope-CMF] Re: [Plone-developers] Re: Re: The components of Archetypes

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jan 13 15:04:55 EST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:09:22 -0000, Alec Mitchell
<alecpm at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure that's what plone_schemas does; I think it rather makes Z3
>> content objects with schemas defined in interfaces the Z3 way work with
>> some of Plone's machinery and UI. I may be wrong, though, I've only
>> briefly scanned the code.
>
> Yes it allows Five add and edit forms to work in a plonish way, it
> does not do anything related to AT.

So let's play with the idea of using plone_schemas instead of Archetypes
for a moment. How does it compare? Off the top of my head, how does it
support:

  - Creating simple content types baed on schemas

  - Creating folderish types

  - Use of Plone's UI for generated edit forms

  - Ability to make custom views easily

  - DC metadata

  - Ability to use standard CMF actions and aliases, e.g. /edit points to
edit view, /properties points to metadata edit form etc.

  - Content is automatically indexed in the catalog

  - Things like Modified date are kept up to date automatically

  - Validators on field level and on the whole object level

  - Rename-after-creation (title-to-id generation)

  - Ability to use CMFDynamicViewFTI's IBrowserDefault and
ISelectableBrowserDefault interfaces, to get the "display" menu, meaning:
a default view, a list of supplemental views, and ability to set a
default-page object in the folder (all Plone needs here are the
interfaces, though these are Z2 style)

  - A way to create custom fields + widgets

Some of these I think I know the answer to, but I'm just curious how far
along this approach is, and more importantly - where there are gaps, how
you think they may be closed.

Martin

--
(muted)