[Zope-CMF] Re: future of getToolByName

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Mon Jan 16 19:40:18 EST 2006

whit wrote:
> I remember some discussion of this in the past.
>
> Transitionally, it would be helpful to be able to register local
> utilities to a tool name, and then have getToolByName spit out a
> deprecation warning and return an appropriate object.
>
> thoughts? comments? does this exist somewhere already?

Hmm... I'm not sure this is useful unless we map standard utilities to
the equivalently functioning tool (which I don't think is a good idea).
 So if thats not the case, and developers need to learn all the new
names, I'd suggest they use the standard zope3 way of looking up utilities.

Just my opinion of course.

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt