[Zope-CMF] Re: future of getToolByName

whit whit at burningman.com
Tue Jan 17 11:22:43 EST 2006

howdy lennart!

> Right, any tool that now exists must directly map unto a local
> utility, and that local utility must also have the same API.
>
> If we in CMF 2.0 feel that most tools should be made into utilities,
> we could register the utilities with a name, and use the old tool
> name. getToolByName could then both try local acquicistion, and do a
> query for a generic interface (ICMFTool?) with the name.

this is sort of what I'm thinking. I'd also like to backport whatever we
decide on to cmf1.6.

> The other option is to keep the tools, but also register them as
> utilities. That would probably need some changes in the utility
> registration, though, from the primitive implementation that is in
> 1.3.

I'm less for this.  one of the big advantages that plone is looking
forward to is cleaning out the tool litter out of the portal root.  I
think forward porting old tools to utilities is acceptable if we don't
force the change on developers.

-w