[Zope-CMF] Re: RFC: backporting including python-package-product support to support Zope 2.8

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Jan 19 15:35:20 EST 2006

Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Lennart Regebro <regebro at ...> writes:
>

>>On 1/19/06, Martin Aspeli <optilude at ...> wrote:

>>>Not if you spend 18 months developing your application :-/
>>
>>Well, in that case you should be able to at some time during that
>>process, switch to a new Zope version... I do understand that Zope
>>2.9.0 may not be something you want to depend on, but most likely
>>there will be a 2.9.1 out by May, so maybe you can consider switching
>>then?
>

> *I* wouldn't mind. Heck, I'd probably take 2.9.0 beta.
>
> But the number one concern for a lot (if not most) people who consider using
> open source when there are commercial alternatives is support and
> maintainability. If the competition says, yeah, sure, this Zope thing's great,
> but if you start developing against version 2.8 now, by the time you're done,
> your version will be discontinued, oh, and by the way, you can buy support from
> us for 10 years at least... it's not the easiest of things to argue with.

People who have those kind of worries should expect to *pay* for
longer-term support than the project itself provides.  Anything else is
suicide for the project.

>>>I do understand that it's hard to maintain three Zope 2 releases at the
>>>same time (jebus). I'm just worried that this policy, especially if
>>>explicit, would make Zope FUD a bit easier.
>>
>>Zope is in a period of rapid change now, and that is indeed scary. ;)
>>It's hard to avoid that, I think, without putting a huge break on the
>>changing.
>

> Absolutely - it's a double edged sword, though I certainly don't want to see
> Zope's maturation process slow down. I'm just trying to raise some awareness
> that for a lot of decision makers, the latest and greatest features matter less
> than the security that their application won't break in the future.

Zope Corp. is willing (or has been, anyway;  I can't speak for them any
longer) \to sell support for released versions of Zope.  Under such a
contract, the supporting company would arrange to get critical
(stability / security-related) bugfixes backported, if the
version-under-support was no longer the actively developed version.

Anyone expecting to get *that* kind of support for free is smoking
crack, given the size of the Zope community and its general willingness
to upgrade as needed.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com