[Zope-CMF] Abusing GenericSetup during traditional installs

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jul 28 07:19:51 EDT 2006

yuppie-2 wrote:

> You might have noticed already that GS has two sub-frameworks, one for
> configuration handlers and one for content handlers. My answer just
> applies to configuration handlers:
>
> The adapters are explicitly made for using them outside the GS tool.
> Body adapters are multi-adapters for ISetupEnviron and the interface of
> the object, e.g. IActionsTool for the Actions Tool.
>
> ISetupEnviron is a small interface that provides a generic logger object
> and the mode in which XML files are applied. GS doesn't ship with a
> class that implements only this minimal interface.
>
> So if you have the XML body in 'body', the tool in 'obj' and the
> SetupEnviron in 'environ', these two lines are all you need:
>
> importer = queryMultiAdapter((obj, environ), IBody)
> importer.body = body

My understanding of GS internals are fairly patchy, but that seems sensible.
Is there an example of this with a bit more context, i.e. one that actually
loads an XML file and runs the import step for that whole file?

> There are other solutions if your XML is part of a registered profile.

Do you just mean "better" or "incompatible"? I guess in this case they
wouldn't be part of a profile, but perhaps they could be and just never run
in the normal portal_setup way. Or would having them registered invalidate
or break a manual import mechanism?

Martin