[Zope-CMF] Re: Products-less python package support for CMF 1.6

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Sun Jun 4 13:03:58 EDT 2006

Hi Rocky!

Rocky Burt wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-06 at 18:12 +0200, yuppie wrote:
>> Rocky Burt wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you all think?  Something we can include in time for CMF1.6.1
>>> beta2 ?
>> I don't care much about CMF 1.6, but I wonder in which case your patch
>> is useful. Are you suggesting that people write cutting-edge
>> Products-less python packages and add deprecated fti data in those
>> packages to make it available through the deprecated
>> listDefaultTypeInformation method?
>
> All of this work I'm doing is geared towards having Zope 2 developers
> write code that is less Zope 2 specific and more python specific.
> Nothing about bleeding edge, etc.

In the Zope 2 world I consider that bleeding edge.

> And there is going to be large
> community of third-party app developers writing products against the
> not-yet-released Plone 2.5.  But my feeling was that Plone wsan't the
> only product based on CMF1.6 ... if it were then I could provide a
> monkey right in plone but this is the absolute wrong approach imho.

I hope neither Plone 2.5 nor CPS 3.4 require oldstyle fti data. CMF 1.6
doesn't. Shipping Products-less python packages without profile based
fti data sounds strange to me. And if the reason is that registering
profiles doesn't work that should be fixed instead of falling back to
oldstyle fti data.

> Ultimately Plone needs to get to CMF2 and that will happen with Plone
> 3.0, but there were simply too many changes in CMF to allow Plone to do
> that within the 2.5 timeframe.
>
> Anyhow, I'm trying to make compromises to keep as many people happy as
> possible.  Originally I wanted to add this to CMF 1.5.x as well :)

I'll shut up now. I don't use CMF 1.6 and I don't think your code will
break CMF 1.6.

Cheers,

	Yuppie