[Zope-CMF] Re: [RFC] [Patch] GenericSetup and encodings

Yves Bastide ybastide at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 8 05:47:28 EDT 2006

yuppie wrote:
> Hi!

[...]
>> With this applied, Portàl (u'Port\xe0l'), which becomes
>> 'Port\xc3\xa0l', is displayed as Portà l ... Zope does input--output
>> properties in utf-8, but stores them in iso8859.  Sigh.
>
> I was afraid this would be complex :(
> That's why I only use ASCII in configuration data.
>
> Can you find out why it stores them in iso8859? Is this hardcoded or
> configurable somewhere?

I know of at least one point, ZPublisher.Converters (field2string).
However by the time a supposedly unicode string (say title:UTF-8:string)
comes here, it's already iso8859. Will look deeper ...

[About getEncoding()]

> Don't know if third party products use it. I guess if CPS doesn't nobody
> does.

It does, though I suspect incorrectly. Florent?

> AFAICS it could be deprecated at least for export contexts.

>>> That would be great.
>>
>> Hmm, by adding to an existing test suite, or creating a new one?
>
> In general the unit tests have a module / class structure similar to the
> tested units. E.g. tests for utils.PropertyManagerHelpers should be
> added to test_utils.PropertyManagerHelpersTests. But sometimes there are
> reasons to add a new test suite, e.g. if you need a different setup.

I did modify test_utils's properties suite (see attached patch), but it
passes with GenericSetup current version :-)

> Cheers,
>
>     Yuppie

yves