[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] Fighting the Zope 2.9 testrunner

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 02:45:41 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>> I'm not sure what Chris meant, but the change to the visual output of
>> the testrunner when running "with dots" seems gratuitous to me, as well
>> -- I don't see any benefit to the "indented, narrower" output,
>
> Me neither, for what it's worth.

Okay, Tres, can you give me a line number I can poke at to remove this?
It seems like Jim doesn't care too much, and I see 3 people at least who
don't like it.

>> Zope 2.9 broke the 'confiugre-make' dance in several ways, due (I think)
>> to the choice to bolt on^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hretrofit zpkg.
>
> Sort of. It didn't break configure && make. It's just "make install"
> that was broken.

I think Tres was assuming that was an integral part of it ;-)

> I still don't understand why people whine about "make install" being
> gone. The point of a checkout is that you have a full functional SVN
> working copy, not an installation source. If you want to install things,
> use a TGZ archive which lets you do "make install" perfectly fine. I've
> never installed Zope anywhere except on production servers anyway, and
> there you should obviously use releases.

Tres and Jens have already made the comments I was going to, but just to
note that I strongly agree with them...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk