[Zope-CMF] Re: trouble applying extension profiles

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Fri Mar 31 13:28:32 EST 2006

Rob Miller wrote:
> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> There's a bug filed already: http://www.zope.org/Collectors/CMF/404
>>
>> I have asked Tres to look at it since he did most of the
>> content-related stuff but haven't heard from him. If you know a
>> solution, by all means, go for it.
>
> okay, i've got an implementation locally that will only remove content
> if the content is something that will be recreated by the current import
> step.  the current behaviour is catastrophic; it removes all content
> from the site root down unless it is explicitly marked as 'preserved' by
> the currently active configuration!

i've committed this on the 1.6 branch.  this is a pretty significant
change in behaviour.  before, a reimport would delete EVERYTHING that
was not explicitly protected by the ".preserve" file of the currently
active profile.  now, content will _only_ be deleted if it is in the
"structure" hierarchy so that it will be recreated.  this means that
removing something from the structure folder and rerunning the import
step will NOT remove content, you'll have to do so by hand.

i think this is preferable to the other approach, because it was far too
easy to have everything in your site wiped out; i think content deletion
should be treated very conservatively.  since this is a behavioural
change, though, i'd like to get some feedback to make sure this works
for folks before moving further.  can anyone else who cares about this
take a look at what i've done and let me know if that works for you?  if
this works for everyone, i'll merge it into the 2.0 branch and the trunk.

thx,

-r