[Zope-CMF] Re: ImportError: No module named CMFActionIcons:1.5

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon May 1 12:01:04 EDT 2006

Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just apt-installed zope2.8.6 and CMF1.5 on Debian Sarge courtesy of
> backports.org:
>
>   zope-cmf1.5
>   zope-cmfactionicons1.5
>   zope-cmfcalendar1.5
>   zope-cmfcore1.5
>   zope-cmfdefault1.5
>   zope-cmfsetup1.5
>   zope-cmftopic1.5
>   zope-cmfuid1.5
>   zope-dcworkflow1.5
>
> I believe Debian does things slightly different so here's where
> everything lives:
>
>   Zope home:            /usr/lib/zope2.8
>   Zope software home:   /usr/lib/zope2.8/lib/python/
>   Instance directory:   /var/lib/zope2.8/instance
>   CMF packages:         /usr/share/zope/Products
>
> I've created an instance and added a
>
>   'products /usr/share/zope/Products'
>
> directive in that instance's zope.conf but CMF is not being imported
> on start up, and I'm getting the following event log message for each
> of the CMF packages mentioned above:
>
>   2006-04-29T12:36:05 ERROR Zope Could not import Products.CMFActionIcons:1.5
>   Traceback (most recent call last): File
>   "/usr/lib/zope2.8/lib/python/OFS/Application.py", line 698, in
>   import_product product=__import__(pname, global_dict, global_dict,
>   silly) ImportError: No module named CMFActionIcons:1.5
>
> Any help much appreciated.

What is the structure of the products directory, e.g.:

  $ ls -l /usr/share/zope/Products

Note that I disagree with Debian's choice to put the entire instance
under '/var':  most of it is *not* runtime-modifiable.  Only the 'var'
subdirectory (and 'logs', if so configured) should be under '/var':  the
rest should be either under '/etc' (e.g., in '/etc/zope', for the
instance configuration) or under '/usr' or '/usr/share'.

A workaround would be to symlink the CMF products from their current
installation directory into $INSTANCE_HOME/Products:  this is in fact
the *preferred* mechanism within the Zope community.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com