[Zope-CMF] Re: GS catalog support

Georges Racinet gracinet at nuxeo.com
Wed May 10 21:38:16 EDT 2006

Le 11 mai 2006, à 00:36, Rob Miller a écrit :

> yuppie wrote:
>> Tres Seaver wrote:

>>> I would create one XML file per catalog, using the current format,
>>> and
>> Agreed.
>>> modify the export / import step to create / look for a 'catalogs.xml'
>>> file which somehow points to the locations of the catalog(s) within
>>> the
>>> site, an maps them to the separate XML files.  The import step would
>>> need to provide BBB for profiles which did not create this new file,
>>> defaulting to a mapping from 'catalog.xml' -> 'portal_catalog'.
>> I would do that in a different way.
>> I still believe a refactoring as proposed here would be an
>> improvement, it would also resolve the multiple catalogs issue:
>> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2005-November/023331.html
>
> i'm not so fond of this idea, actually.  while i'm all for simplifying
> things, i'm loathe to give up the flexibility that you admit we'll be
> sacrificing. GenericSetup is likely to be used in a myriad of ways,
> just because we can manage to get CMF itself to work with a less
> flexible GenericSetup doesn't mean that other use cases won't need it.
>  i'm especially concerned about losing the ability to have one tool's
> import step depend on another's.
>
> i'm all for reducing boilerplate, though; i 100% agree that there's
> too much of it currently.  can you imagine a way to reduce the
> boilerplate without sacrificing the flexibility?

Hi, sorry to be late to this party, I didn't notice this proposal, but
maybe was it simply because I didn't use GS at all at this time... I'll
take the opportunity to mention that the two flexibility features you
mention are quite important to me.

When developing with GS I rerun just one step all the time, be it for
quickness or because I may be fixing a small dent while working on a
bigger thing at the same time. It's also interesting when you want,
say, to update a broken workflow on the fly without changing
site-dependent parameters, like LDAP connections and such.

As for dependencies, it's true that the one mentionned is a bit
artificial, but there are more serious ones outside of the CMF. One
really needs to have portal_types set to initialize an object built on
a FTI, for instance. This is of course much more serious.

Finally, having the tools being exported under their true id breaks
snapshots (although I'm not 100% sure if they are a feature of the GS
tool itself), because of the UniqueObject inheritance, but that could
be easily solved.

Disclaimer: I'm familiar with the use of GS made within CPS.

Cheers,