[Zope-CMF] Re: GS and the Toolset registry

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Nov 15 15:02:39 EST 2006

Alec Mitchell wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>>
>> Alec Mitchell wrote:
>>> Tres,
>>>
>>> What are your feeling about this?  Is there a reason not to jettison
>>> the toolset registry, other than backwards compatibility?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alec

>> I don't think the registry is redundant:  it enables some
>> "bootstrapping" that would otherwise require writing procedural code.
>> Essentially, the overall "meta-profile" is defined via the three
>> registries:  required / forbidden tools, import steps, and export steps.
>>
>> IIRC, extension profiles are not properly *supposed* to override the
>> base profiles tools, precisely for this reason.  They are not really
>> designed to be "reversible" either.
>>
>> The "add-on" use case people are trying to shoehorn into extension
>> profiles is not really appropriate, especially if "reversion" becomes
>> part of the deal.
>
> In this case reversibility is not the issue, and I don't think we're
> expecting it.  The problem is that the tools that are loaded when a
> toolset step is run are not those specified in the current active
> extension profile, but rather a combination of all of those in every
> profile that has ever been made active, regardless of whether the
> steps of that profile were imported or not.  This seems pretty
> inconsistent with the way that all the other import steps work.
> Perhaps the toolset registry should only be updated when the toolset
> step is run, not whenever a profile is made active?

We really shouldn't have to make an extension the "active" profile in
order to apply it to a site (and in fact, the new "tarball upload"
feature allows applying an uploaded profile wiithout it).

> Add-on products almost always make changes to skins, actions,
> properties, registries, and other things under the purview of GS.  It
> would be a shame if such products can't easily use the very convenient
> mechanisms that GS provides to do so.

That's what they are *supposed* to do.  Changing the "meta profile" is
*not* something which extensions are designed for.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com