[Zope-CMF] Modifications using GS profiles

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Apr 5 06:15:04 EDT 2007

Does anyone have any objections to modifying some of the CMFCore
exportimport code to support changing aspects of items instead of
wholesale replacing them?

I would like to be able to do things like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<object name="File"
   meta_type="Factory-based Type Information with dynamic views">
 <property name="Just replace the title">
 <action action_id="edit" condition_expr="only-replace-expression">
 </action>
</object>

of course delta profiles or however we end up supporting modifications
is a better solution, but I'm looking for something that is workable
right now.

The particular reason I'm interested in this is that for Plone we are
playing with using GenricSetup profiles as part of the migration code.
This means we can write a lot less python code but just write changes
as profile snippets. For an example see
http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/CMFPlone/trunk/migrations/v3_0/profiles/beta1_beta2/portal_atct.xml . That adds two new indexes to portal_atct and
only updates the description for various bits of metadata, leaving all
other aspects untouched.

Wichert.