[Zope-CMF] Re: Plone needs a release this week

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu Aug 2 05:37:36 EDT 2007

Am 31.07.2007 um 17:17 schrieb Tres Seaver:

> 'imperative' indicates that the profile executes arbitrary Python
> code;
>  'declarative' indecates that the profile applies external
> configuration
> data, read from one or more data files in the profile.
>
> Running two imperative profiles, A and B, may create different effects
> based on the order in which they are run, or whether they are run more
> than once.  With declarative profiles, OTOH, the state is all captured
> in the data file(s), which means there are no ordering
> depencencies, and
> it is always "safe" (idempotent) to reapply the step.

Thanks for the explanation, Tres. I still find the term distinction
somewhat confusing and would suggest "runtime" or "ad hoc" for the
second one but if it is an established term in software development
then who am I to rewrite the book! While I have a fairly intense
dislike of XML I am fully in favour on configuration being kept
external to an application although I don't see how conflicts: two
products wishing to configure the same object differently can be
resolved this way.

However, it seems I am not the only one who been confused by the
discussion. Would it make sense to move it to a wiki where we have
use cases, problems, etc? What I am personally missing are examples
of current "gotchas" and how they can be resolved.

Does http://zope.org/Products/CMF/docs/requirements/proposals/
GenericSetup_architectureflect the current status?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20