[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] GenericSetup: profile version and metadata.xml

yuppie y.2007- at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Dec 5 16:33:18 EST 2007

Hi!

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously yuppie wrote:
>> Running the trunk unit tests triggers warnings like this one:
>> "UserWarning: Version for profile Products.GenericSetup:default taken
>> from version.txt. This is deprecated behaviour: please specify the
>> version in metadata.xml."
>>
>> I like the fact that using version.txt for the profile version is
>> deprecated. But you now get always a deprecation warning if no
>> metadata.xml exists in the profile. Is that intended? Is specifying a
>> version now required?
>
> It isn't required - it is fine if a profile has no version. What I did
> is add a deprecation warning when the profile metadata did not specify
> a version and the version was read from a version.txt file. If you have
> no version.txt you will not see the deprecation warning.

But if you *have* a version.txt file the only way to get rid of the
deprecation warnings is to add a version in metadata.xml. Right? That's
annoying because there is nothing wrong about having a version.txt file
and no metadata.xml file.

> I agree the deprecation warnings are annoying in the tests, but I could
> not come up with a proper alternative.

As long as you don't want to test the deprecation warnings or the
deprecated behavior the tests should be modified using the recommended
pattern. No?

Cheers,

	Yuppie